Thank you for registering for the ASECS 2023 Annual Meeting, March 9 – 11, 2023, in St. Louis, MO at the Hyatt Regency St Louis At the Arch. Please review the following information to make your conference experience as seamless as possible.
Health and Safety
ASECS understands vaccine and mask mandates have been lifted in many areas. However, as a reminder during registration, you agreed to follow the ASECS Health and Safety Protocols at this year’s conference.
- Members will need to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination plus at least one booster at the registration desk OR to show proof of a negative PCR test dated within 72 hours of the conference. Vaccines are a safe and proven way to reduce the transmission and severity of COVID-19. ASECS will make a few COVID-19 tests available at the registration desk; attendees are encouraged to bring their own.
- Members will be strongly encouraged to wear masks in all public spaces; it is possible that masks will be required depending on local conditions. Masking is a simple and proven way to reduce the spread of COVID-19 at large indoor gatherings. We will have some masks available at the registration table, but participants should bring their own.
- If you exhibit COVID-19 symptoms, you should quarantine in your room and inform the Executive Director Benita Blessing at email@example.com (subject line: confidential). The director will not release your name, but she will let the general conference attendees know via the conference app that there has been a possible conference exposure so that attendees can decide whether to get tested before returning home.
You may find up-to-date COVID-19 information for the region here: COVID-19 Data Dashboard Missouri
Hyatt Regency St Louis At the Arch
315 Chestnut St,
St. Louis, MO 63102
314 – 655 – 1234
· Self-Park $30 overnight (per day)
· Valet parking $40 overnight (per day)
Check-in is 4:00pm and Check-out is 11:00am. Early check-in and late check-out requests will be based on hotel availability.
Hyatt’s Safety and Wellbeing
St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL) is located 15 miles from the hotel. Transfer time will be approximately 20 minutes depending on the time of day and traffic.
Transfer options from the St. Louis Lambert International Airport and the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch.
- Taxi approximately $40.00 one way
- Uber/Lyft – approximately $30 one way
- Bus service, fee: $7.00 one way*
- Metro service, fee: $3.50 one way*
Click here for additional information on bus and metro schedules from the St. Louis Lambert International Airport
* Both the Bus and Metro have stops within a couple of blocks from the hotel and are an inexpensive, easy, and convenient way to get to the hotel.
Click here for directions.
There is an Amtrack station located at 430 S. 15th St. which is about 1.5 miles from the hotel.
Click here for Amtrack schedules.
Like last year, ASECS will not be providing a printed program book. The most recent agenda is available via a downloadable PDF or the mobile app. The mobile app instructions will be emailed out shortly.
Additional Pre-Conference options added:
Wednesday, March 8, 3-6pm: Cahokia Mounds Outing [organized by the Science Studies Caucus] (meet in Hotel Lobby 3pm; contact Helen Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org for details)
Open House at the Missouri Historical Society, Wednesday, March 8, 4:00pm – 6:00pm (registration required): The Missouri Historical Society invites you to visit their recently renovated Reading Room and explore highlights from their 18th-century St. Louis collections of manuscripts, archives, and fine and decorative arts. Their curators, librarians, and archivists will be on hand between 4:00pm and 6:00pm for a drop-in open house.Email Amy Torbert (email@example.com) for more information and to register and receive directions.
NEW THIS YEAR
ASECS’s members now have access to an Ombuds. An Ombuds is an independent, neutral person trained in conflict resolution. Kathleen (Kathy) Canul, is available throughout the year via email firstname.lastname@example.org, video conference, and phone (949) 293-7515, and will hold virtual office hours at the Annual Meeting. During the 53rd Annual Meeting, held March 9-11, at the Hyatt Regency in St. Louis, MO, you can make an appointment with Kathy Canul via email, as she will be holding virtual office hours during the following times as well as by appointment. NOTE: The below times are in Central Time. Kathy is located in the Pacific Time zone so please be considerate when calling to request an appointment outside of these office hours.
Thursday, March 9 Friday, March 10 Saturday, March 11
1-2:30pm CT 1 – 4:30pm CT 11:30am – 1:45pm CT
6-7:30pm CT 6 – 7:30pm CT 5:30pm – 7:00pm CT
18th Century Cafes
8th Century Cafes were created to provide an opportunity for members to participate in informal small discussions around pertinent topics. Grab some coffee and be part of the conversation while connecting with other members. Registration is not required.
Topic: Mentoring, in honor of Donald C. Mell, Jr. [Women’s Caucus]:
Date: Thursday, March 9 – 2:45pm – 4:15pm – Regency A/B
Facilitator: Misty G. ANDERSON, University of Tennessee-Knoxville
Topic: The State of Academic Freedom sponsored by ASECS [Women’s Caucus]
Date: Friday, March 10 – 9:45am – 11:15am – Regency A/B
Facilitator: Misty G. ANDERSON, University of Tennessee-Knoxville
Topic: Land Sovereignty and the (De)Colonial Biosphere: Recentering Indigenous Relations to the Living World [Race & Empire Caucus] sponsored by the Lewis Walpole Library
Date: Saturday, March 11 – 8:00am – 9:30am – Regency A/B
Facilitator: Kathleen T. ALVES, Queensborough Community College-City University of New York, Megan PEISER (Choctaw), Oakland University, and Willow White (University of Alberta)
Wireless Internet Access
There will not be conference Wi-Fi in break-out rooms this year. AV and WI-FI prices doubled from 2019 ($20,000 with WI-FI) to 2021 ($40,000 with WI-FI), and doubled again in 2022: Encore, the hotel’s AV vendor, offered AV and WI-FI for $100,000. Instead, we have contracted with an outside AV vendor, Gateway, which will cost approx. $43,000 but will not include WI-FI.
Keep in mind the complimentary sleeping room WI-FI for those that booked within the contracted conference block or upgraded WI-FI purchased in sleeping rooms will not work in the meeting rooms. There will be WI-FI in the hotel lobby.
Registration will be located on the second floor in the East Foyer.
Wednesday 2:00pm – 8:00pm
Thursday 7:00am – 7:00pm
Friday 7:30am – 5:00pm
Saturday 7:30am – 5:00pm
Book Exhibit Hours
The book exhibit will be located on the second floor in the South Foyer.
Thursday 8:00am – 7:30pm
Friday 8:00am – 7:00pm
Saturday 8:00am – 1:00pm
The conference dress is casual.
Average temperature in St. Louis during March is 56ºF/13ºC during the day and 38ºF/3 ºC in the evenings. We recommend that you bring a light jacket or sweater for inside the hotel as meeting rooms generally run on the cooler side.
For current weather conditions, click here.
St. Louis is in the Central Standard Time (CST) Zone
Should you have any questions, please contact the following ASECS staff. You can find us at the conference registration desk on the second floor near the elevators during the conference.
For general logistical and registration questions contact the events manager Devon Binder at:
For presenter and programming questions contact the executive director Benita Blessing at:
The ASECS Staff